A Shenandoah County fire official says the owner of a chicken house saved thousands of chicks after the building caught fire. The fire occurred Monday afternoon just west of New Market. Shenandoah County Department of Fire and Rescue Lt. Richard Funkhouser tells The Daily News-Record that owner Roger Martin saw smoke and opened another section of the building. That allowed all but one or two of 19,000 chicks to escape. No injuries were reported. Funkhouser says the fire caused about $8,000 in damage to the building’s roof. An electrical malfunction is the suspected cause.